What to see in Belgrade?
The Belgrade Fortress offers beautiful and exciting view of the confluence of Sava and Danube, of New Belgrade and Zemun. It was built as a defensive structure and it has role of unique witness of history since 2nd century. The Belgrade Fortress is divided into the Upper and Lower Town and the Kalemegdan park.
Kalemegdan is the most beautiful park in Belgrade. Once upon a time it was used to observe enemy in the battle. Its name derives from the Turkish word KALE meaning FORT and MEYDAN, which means FIELD. Kalemegdan contains the Keys of the Belgrade Fortress memorial, the Monument of Gratitude to France, the Cvijeta Zuzorić Art Pavilion, the Music Pavilion, the Great Steps, the Zoo and a number of monuments, sculptures, sports facilities, restaurants and cafés.
The Belgrade Zoo was founded in the year 1936 by the mayor of that time, the industrialist Mr. Vlada Ilić. During the World War II it was bombed twice. Completely destroyed, the surface of the Zoo was reduced after the war to about seven hectares, which is how much it occupies also today. In the Belgrade Zoo live more than 2.000 animals or 270 species. The complex includes cafés, a souvenir shop, benches, fountains, mosaics and trails.
Skadarlija is old bohemian quarter of Belgrade. It began to arouse during the late 19th century. During the 1970s Skadarlija became a “sister” to the Parisian Montmartre quarter. The most famous inns in this street were Tri šešira ("Three Hats"), Dva jelena ("Two Deer"), Zlatni bokal ("The Golden Chalice"), Bandist, East, Guild, Vuk Karadžić and The two Sergeants. The first three of them still exist today.
Temple of Saint Sava is the largest Ortodox temple in the Balkans. It is dedicated to Saint Sava, the founder of the Serbian Ortodox church. The temple is still under construction. It is so big that can seat more than 10 000 people at the same time. Temple of Saint Sava is 82 m high and it can be seen from all the approaches to the city.
Knez Mihailova street is the main pedestrian and shopping zone in Belgrade. The street follows the central grid layout of the Roman city of Singidunum. It lies in between Terazije Square and Kalemegdan park. Knez Mihailova is the main meeting point in Belgrade. Walking down the street, you can visit shops of famous brends and see some of the most valuables landmarks.
The National Parliament is located on Terazije Street in the heart of downtown Belgrade. The construction began in 1907 and it was stopped during the Balkan Wars and the First World War. The building is designed in the neo-baroque style. The library of the National Parliament is situated on the first floor and contains over 60 000 books. It is open for public visits.
The Royal Palaces are situated in a wooded, elite part of Belgrade. Royal complex in Dedinje consist of Royal Palace and White Palace. Royal Palace was built in 1929 and today it is home of prince Aleksandar Karađorđević II and his wife. The White Palace was intended to be residence for the three sons of King Aleksandar I. The construction of the White Palace lasted for about four years. Two months after the construction began, King Aleksandar I was murdered during a state visit to Marseille in 1934. His sons never lived in the White Palace.
Ada Ciganlija is an island on the Sava river, near its confluence with the Danube, at the distance of only four kilometres of the center of Belgrade. The promenade around the lake is 7,5 km long and you can go around it by foot or with a small cruising train. During summer, Ada Ciganlija becomes like a small city with daily population of more than 100.000 visitors (300.000 visitors during weekend) who come here to swim, run and play all kinds of sports.
Gardoš Hill is the heart of Zemun. Narrow streets, bistros, old houses with gardens give a specific charm to Gardoš. It hosts various theatre and music festivals, especially during summer. On the top of a hill you will get to the Millenium Tower, built in 1896 on a place of former Zemun Castle.
Avala is small mountain 511m high, which lies 15 km south from the city. Its name is derived from the Arabic word HAVALA, which means VIEWPOINT. Avala Tower is symbol of Belgrade. It is the highest structure in Serbia (205 m). From its observation deck you can see most of Belgrade surrounding.